Wednesday, November 11, 2009

When I Grow Up

This circulated my community a few years ago. It's interesting to watch it now because I have a much, much better idea of how the industry works than when I first saw it. I understand and appreciate it a lot more, now.


It's also funny because I used to desperately want to be in Account Services (1:53), but now I want to be a Media Director (:24) ... which, please note, is the only position without anything miserable attached to it. Thank goodness.

Fav part (1:07): "When I grow up, I want to be a Copywriter ... and lie awake at night writing the great American novel that will never get published."

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting ad. 'though what exactly are they promoting?
    On Thursday I had to write an in-class essay for an exam, and I used this ad to springboard the thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monster.com is advertising its services as a job hub... kind of along the lines of "there's got to be a better way than this"

    I'm honored you used this ad and my post to help you in class. What was your thesis, pray tell?

    RW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thanks for posting it.
    There was an ad campaign in ny a few years back from the board of ed. Something like, "you remember who your 2nd grade teacher was, who will remember you"?
    The essay was to explain the link between financial ability and education. I wrote about how few people choose occupations that are not financially rewarding. Other types of satisfaction are not taken into the equation as much, when comparing the workload and stress to the reward. Hence the absence of "Ivy League" elementary school teachers.
    The question is, when money is NOT the primary motivation, what comes next? Making art, or making a difference?

    ReplyDelete