Monday, November 16, 2009

Competitive Media Placement

Apple and Microsoft ("PC") have been at each others' throats for a while. Whenever I hear about their tiffs, though, it's usually through trade pubs, and never through first-hand experience.

This morning, though, after browsing PCMag, I came across this homepage takeover, and realized the extent to which this war raged on.


Kind of ironic for PCMag to accept this buy. I've heard of different sites accepting ads from supposedly credible sources that turned out to be malware, but I'm pretty sure this was done on purpose.

Is losing credibility and selling out worth it?

1 comment:

  1. So I wanted to comment on the UPS/FedEx thing that you had in the other post (which was still saved in my Google Reader) but I guess you deleted it. Here's what I had to say:

    I saw that UPS thing too and also found it amusing that FedEx sponsored it. It's a little ridiculous, though, that FedEx felt the need to sponsor something already making fun of UPS.

    My own thought at the time was that UPS's ads (bad as they are) are successful enough if FedEx feels threatened even by a parody of them!

    [Also, on this post, PC Mag has never had the 'credibility' to which you refer. Much like the scandals that plague Consumer Reports, etc, PC Magazine is well known to accept money in favor of reviews, etc, etc. (Whether the scandals are true for CR is unimportant. PCMag is known to be influenced.)]

    ReplyDelete