Friday, August 21, 2009

Interview Messups, Case Study #2

Another tip from my vault of embarrassing interviews:

Tip #2 - Research the agency thoroughly. No, more thoroughly than that...

JWT Interview, Spring '09, New York, NY

HR: So, Rebecca, your resume looks good and you are qualified. Where do you see yourself fitting into this agency?
Me: Well, as part of the TexasMedia program, I'm really interested in Media Planning
HR: JWT doesn't have a Media department. We outsource everything to Group M.
Me: Ah, I see (foot in mouth).


JWT is very prestigious, so naturally I researched them a lot before the big day. Not enough, apparently... Unbeknownce to me, a lot of the major holding companies (WPP, Omnicom, IPG, Publicis) have a strong Media-Only arm, and the rest of their agencies handle the creative/interactive/planning/etc.

Truth is, even navigating an agencies' website isn't enough to tell you whether or not they have a media department. It's important to also peruse the trade pubs to make sure you know what you're up against. Especially helfpul is the Ad Age Agency Family Tree. It's currently hanging on my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment