Friday, August 21, 2009

Interview Messups, Case Study #1

You hear a lot of what to do and what not to do when going to an interview. Here are some tips that come from my highly unfortunate experience.


Tip #1: Get a hobby. A real hobby.

EnviroMedia Interview, Spring '09, Austin, TX


Boss: So, Rebecca, what do you do in your spare time?
Me: Well, I really like to cook. I've especially gotten good at "dorm cooking" - frozen vegetables and canned tomatoes. It's delicious!
Boss: Oh. I'm a cook, and I don't exactly consider that cooking...


I completely forgot that although to college kids, frozen and canned food is considered cuisine, the "adult world" doesn't share the sentiment. Whoops. Luckily, I made up for this blunder with my experience and positive attitude, and ended up getting the Media Buying Internship. I have since developed a love of traveling, which HR Generalists see as a much more legitimate pastime.

No comments:

Post a Comment